Alex is a dual-qualified lawyer and is admitted in South Africa and England & Wales (non-practising). He began his career as a Candidate Attorney at Christodoulou & Mavrikis Inc. in 2005 and upon being admitted in 2007, Alex moved to London to pursue his legal career in the United Kingdom. During his time overseas, Alex undertook the Qualified Lawyers Transfer Test and was admitted as a solicitor in 2009, and worked for renowned international law firms where he was involved in all aspects of regulatory and legal compliance issues. Alex re-joined Christodoulou & Mavrikis Inc. in 2012.
Alex often provides presentations and writes articles for the Franchise Association of South Africa (FASA) and has also contributed to the South African chapters of the International Comparative Legal Guide to Franchise 2017 (3rd Edition), 2019 (5th Edition) and 2020 (6th Edition) published by Global Legal Group Ltd, London (www.iclg.co.uk).
Alex was recognized by his peers in the 13th Edition of the Best Lawyers in South Africa™ for Franchise Law 2022.
Alex heads up our franchise law department where he represents franchisors across various industries. He is actively involved in advising franchisors on the establishment of their franchises; drafting franchise agreements; advising on the Consumer Protection Act and how it effects franchise agreements; advising franchisors and franchisees in respect of franchise disputes and assisting clients with trade mark and intellectual property registrations and disputes. More recently, Alex has been involved in assisting franchisors concluding joint ventures with their suppliers and expanding their brands internationally. In addition, Alex assists in the firm’s commercial, litigation and cyber law departments where he acts for an array of clients in various business sectors.
- Corporate & Commercial Law
- Litigation & Dispute Resolution
- Cyber Law
- Greek Law
- Postgraduate Certificate Course in Cyber Law (University of the Witwatersrand)
- BPP Law School (London)
- LLB (Rand Afrikaans University)
- Attorney of the High Court of South Africa 2007
- Solicitor of the Supreme Court of England & Wales (Non-Practising Roll) 2009
- FASA Legal Committee
- FASA Membership Committee
COURSE & TRAINING UNDERTAKEN
- Opinion Writing – Law Society of South Africa and L.E.A.D (2019)
- The Protection of Personal Information Act – Law Society of South Africa and L.E.A.D (2019)
- Practice Management Training – Law Society of South Africa and L.E.A.D (2017)
- Commercial Drafting – Law Society of South Africa and L.E.A.D (2016)
- Drafting of Contracts – Law Society of South Africa and L.E.A.D (2014)
- Effective Risk Management – Law Society of South Africa and L.E.A.D (2013)
- Drafting of Contracts – Law Society of South Africa and L.E.A.D (2013)
- Company Law – Law Society of South Africa and L.E.A.D (2012)
- New Magistrates’ Court Procedure – Law Society of South Africa and L.E.A.D (2012)