Chris was a founder member of Christodoulou & Mavrikis in 1991 and is the Managing Partner of the firm with over 30 years of broad based experience. He is the head of the firms Aviation and Commercial departments and has contributed to a number of international publications and lectured and spoken on aviation topics around the world.
Chris represents a host of aviation clients including sellers and purchasers, lessors and lessees, aircraft operators, maintenance organizations and has advised local and international clients on regulatory, insurance and commercial aviation matters and regularly represents clients in litigious and dispute resolution matters.Other aviation matters undertaken by Chris include: licensing applications, market entry and local shareholding restrictions for airline operating licences, Civil Aviation Regulatory matters; classification and registration of aircraft, unmanned aircraft rules; financing arrangements including loan and security agreements, mortgage registration under the SACAA and the Cape Town Convention on Mobile Assets; and drafting commercial agreements in the aviation industry. Chris has had articles and legal guides published in international legal journals, books and other publications in his areas of expertise.
- Corporate and Commercial Law
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Contract Law
- Franchising Law
- Named as one of the world’s leading Aviation lawyers by Who’s Who Legal: Transport – Aviation Regulatory – 2021.
- Master of Laws (LLM) (King’s College, University of London)
- Batchelor of Laws (LLB) (University of the Witwatersrand)
- Bachelor of Arts (BA) (University of the Witwatersrand)
- Attorney of the High Court of South Africa 1991
- Solicitor of the Courts of England & Wales (Non Practising Roll) 1997
- Member of the South African Civil Aviation Appeal Committee (2017 – 2021)
- Non-Executive Director SA Express Airways (2007 to 2012)
- Member of the Legal Practice Council Disciplinary Committee
COURSES & TRAINING UNDERTAKEN
- Air Transport Management Executive Seminar: College of Aeronautics, Cranfield University. United Kingdom. (1993).
- Certificate in South African Air Law – Rand Afrikaans University (1989).
Corporate Governance, Leadership & Strategy
- Accelerated Development Program – Chicago Booth Business School (London) 2009 – 2010.
- Board of Directors Leadership Program: Gordon Institute of Business Science (University of Pretoria) (April 2008).
- Strategic Management Certificate Program: Henley Management School (GIMT) (2001).
- Certificate in Compliance Management – University of Cape Town (September 2003).
- Aviation Finance Certificate Course – Euromoney Legal Training. London (Nov 2006)
- Ship Finance Certificate Course (Legal & Documentation Issues) Euromoney Legal Training. London (Jan 2003).
- Private Company Acquisitions: Central Law Training London (1988).
- Law and Procedures