Alex is a dual-qualified lawyer and is admitted in South Africa and England & Wales (non-practising). He began his career as a Candidate Attorney at Christodoulou & Mavrikis Inc. in 2005 and upon being admitted in 2007, Alex moved to London to pursue his legal career in the United Kingdom. During his time overseas, Alex undertook the Qualified Lawyers Transfer Test and was admitted as a solicitor in 2009, and worked for renowned international law firms where he was involved in all aspects of regulatory and legal compliance issues. Alex re-joined Christodoulou & Mavrikis Inc. in 2012.
Alex often provides presentations and writes articles for the Franchise Association of South Africa (FASA) and has also contributed to the South African chapters of the International Comparative Legal Guide to Franchise 2017 (3rd Edition), 2019 (5th Edition) and 2020 (6th Edition) published by Global Legal Group Ltd, London (www.iclg.co.uk).
Alex heads up our franchise law department where he represents franchisors across various industries. He is actively involved in advising franchisors on the establishment of their franchises; drafting franchise agreements; advising on the Consumer Protection Act and how it effects franchise agreements; advising franchisors and franchisees in respect of franchise disputes and assisting clients with trade mark and intellectual property registrations and disputes. More recently, Alex has been involved in assisting franchisors concluding joint ventures with their suppliers and expanding their brands internationally. In addition, Alex assists in the firm’s commercial, litigation and cyber law departments where he acts for an array of clients in various business sectors.
- Corporate & Commercial Law
- Litigation & Dispute Resolution
- Cyber Law
- Greek Law
- Postgraduate Certificate Course in Cyber Law (University of the Witwatersrand)
- BPP Law School (London)
- LLB (Rand Afrikaans University)
- Attorney of the High Court of South Africa 2007
- Solicitor of the Supreme Court of England & Wales (Non-Practising Roll) 2009
- FASA Legal Committee
- FASA Membership Committee
COURSE & TRAINING UNDERTAKEN
- Opinion Writing – Law Society of South Africa and L.E.A.D (2019)
- The Protection of Personal Information Act – Law Society of South Africa and L.E.A.D (2019)
- Practice Management Training – Law Society of South Africa and L.E.A.D (2017)
- Commercial Drafting – Law Society of South Africa and L.E.A.D (2016)
- Drafting of Contracts – Law Society of South Africa and L.E.A.D (2014)
- Effective Risk Management – Law Society of South Africa and L.E.A.D (2013)
- Drafting of Contracts – Law Society of South Africa and L.E.A.D (2013)
- Company Law – Law Society of South Africa and L.E.A.D (2012)
- New Magistrates’ Court Procedure – Law Society of South Africa and L.E.A.D (2012)
Chris was a founder member of Christodoulou & Mavrikis in 1991 and is the Managing Partner of the firm with over 30 years of broad based experience. He is the head of the firms Aviation and Commercial departments and has contributed to a number of international publications and lectured and spoken on aviation topics around the world.
Chris represents a host of aviation clients including sellers and purchasers, lessors and lessees, aircraft operators, maintenance organizations and has advised local and international clients on regulatory, insurance and commercial aviation matters and regularly represents clients in litigious and dispute resolution matters.Other aviation matters undertaken by Chris include: licensing applications, market entry and local shareholding restrictions for airline operating licences, Civil Aviation Regulatory matters; classification and registration of aircraft, unmanned aircraft rules; financing arrangements including loan and security agreements, mortgage registration under the SACAA and the Cape Town Convention on Mobile Assets; and drafting commercial agreements in the aviation industry. Chris has had articles and legal guides published in international legal journals, books and other publications in his areas of expertise.
- Corporate and Commercial Law
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Contract Law
- Franchising Law
- Named as one of the world’s leading Aviation lawyers by Who’s Who Legal: Transport – Aviation Regulatory – 2021.
- Master of Laws (LLM) (King’s College, University of London)
- Batchelor of Laws (LLB) (University of the Witwatersrand)
- Bachelor of Arts (BA) (University of the Witwatersrand)
- Attorney of the High Court of South Africa 1991
- Solicitor of the Courts of England & Wales (Non Practising Roll) 1997
- Member of the South African Civil Aviation Appeal Committee (2017 – 2021)
- Non-Executive Director SA Express Airways (2007 to 2012)
- Member of the Legal Practice Council Disciplinary Committee
COURSES & TRAINING UNDERTAKEN
- Air Transport Management Executive Seminar: College of Aeronautics, Cranfield University. United Kingdom. (1993).
- Certificate in South African Air Law – Rand Afrikaans University (1989).
Corporate Governance, Leadership & Strategy
- Accelerated Development Program – Chicago Booth Business School (London) 2009 – 2010.
- Board of Directors Leadership Program: Gordon Institute of Business Science (University of Pretoria) (April 2008).
- Strategic Management Certificate Program: Henley Management School (GIMT) (2001).
- Certificate in Compliance Management – University of Cape Town (September 2003).
- Aviation Finance Certificate Course – Euromoney Legal Training. London (Nov 2006)
- Ship Finance Certificate Course (Legal & Documentation Issues) Euromoney Legal Training. London (Jan 2003).
- Private Company Acquisitions: Central Law Training London (1988).
- Law and Procedures
George is admitted as an attorney in South Africa and has also successfully completed the English solicitors examination enabling him to advise on all aspects of English law. He is currently in charge of the Athens office of Christodoulou Mavrikis Inc. operating as Oracle Worldwide Legal Services, which provides professional legal assistance in various aspects of Greek and European law.
George has been an admitted attorney for 23 years having represented both individuals and corporations in civil and criminal proceedings. He also advises clients on all aspects of commercial law and has extensive experience in banking law, having represented one of the largest micro lending organizations in South Africa.
His extensive and varied experience has enabled him to become familiar with all aspects of international business transactions as well.
George is fluent in English, Greek and Afrikaans.
Theodora obtained her Bachelor of Law Degree from the University of Pretoria in 2018. Theodora was a student legal advisor at the University of Pretoria’s law clinic where she was passionate about assisting her clients. She continued to further her studies in 2019 at the University of Pretoria by completing her Master’s degree in Mercantile Law where she gained extensive knowledge in advanced contract law, consumer protection as well as competition law. She completed her thesis on the whether the South African Competition Act is equipped to deal with the impact of the digital economy and big data.
Theodora commenced her practical vocational training in 2020 and has since gained experience in competition law, commercial contracts, corporate governance, litigation and administrative law. As Theodora serves her second year of practical vocational training, she enjoys furthering her practical knowledge of the law and assisting her clients with the highest level of care and professionalism.
- Corporate and Commercial Law
- Competition law, Mergers and Acquisitions
- Contract Law
- Litigation, Arbitration and Dispute resolution
- LLB (UP)
- LLM (UP)
- LEAD Commercial Evictions Course 2021
- LEAD Drafting of Wills Course 2021
- LEAD Drafting of Contracts Course 2021
- Theodora is not admitted yet, she has passed her board exams and is in her second year of practical vocational training
Robyn joined Christodoulou & Mavrikis Inc. during 1998 as a junior secretary. She was tasked with handling all matters pertaining not only to office administration but also client liaison as well as general secretarial work. Her patience and excellent communication skills have enabled her to maintain a good rapport with both clients, professional staff within the firm as well as professional and non-professional staff within the legal community. Through the years, Robyn has attended numerous paralegal courses and has acquired invaluable experience both in litigation and general practice alike. Robyn remains an invaluable source of assistance for both junior and senior staff alike and she is the current office manager of the firm.
Themis lived in Paris during the years 1977 to 1987 where he studied law at the University of Paris X, majoring in Commercial Law. After completing his studies, he worked in Paris as a legal consultant.
Themis returned to Greece in 1988 where he took over his father’s practice, a well known law firm in the centre of Athens.
Themis is a consultant to a number of multinational companies and is a member of the Greek-French Chamber of Commerce.
Bobby is a registered non-practicing Attorney with the Law Society of the Northern Provinces. He initially started his career as a Public Prosecutor, and in 1970 was admitted as an Attorney, Notary Public and Conveyancer. He practiced as an Attorney for 35 years, three of which were in Durban and the balance in Klerksdorp. He moved to Johannesburg in September 2005 to join Rand Leases Properties (Pty) Ltd as Head of Legal Services and was responsible for a number of commercial matters on behalf of the company, until his formal retirement in September 2010. Since then, he acted on a part-time basis as legal/commercial consultant to William Tell Holdings Ltd and South Ridge Properties (Pty) Ltd.
Bobby joined Christodoulou & Mavrikis Inc. in 2017 as a Consultant and is actively involved in planning the strategic direction of the firm, mentoring and encouraging the broader legal education of the professional staff and advising on legal matters from time to time.
Whilst in Klerksdorp, Bobby was a founding partner of the legal practice known as Waks & Brady Inc., consisting of seven directors and several lawyers. Specialist fields covered by Bobby during this time included Business Law, Estate Planning, Dispute Resolution, Property Law, Local Government Law, Notarial Services, and Mining & Minerals.
Bobby has been involved in numerous philanthropic activities during his time in Klerksdorp and since relocating to Johannesburg he has become an integral member of the local community by becoming involved with the Body Corporate in his residence; developing pre-school facilities in township (ASHA); Food Gardening; and a member of the Parish Pastoral Council of the Rosebank Catholic Church;
At the age of 71 Bobby is a regular squash and tennis player. He is married to Margaret and they have four children and six grandchildren.